I think it is pretty standard to have an annual evaluation that takes place at your place of employment. It is a time to look at the negative and positive. It is a time to look at what is working and what is not working. It is a time to set goals and assess performance. It is a time for both parties to evaluate whether or not the relationship is still working.
I have also found it important to evaluate the different relationships in my personal life from time to time. I would like to share my thoughts with you on those different relationships and the importance of evaluating them.
- My relationship with self: What is my relationship with my self like? Do I nurture and take care of self? Do I love myself? I sometimes fall into blaming and berating myself for things in my past.This is clearly not healthy and has caused me some pain and suffering. I continue to work on my relationship with self and have found it to be the most important relationship of all.
- My relationship with the environment: Am I doing my part to care for the earth and environment by conserving energy, recycling when possible, and not being wasteful? We each have a responsibility to take care of all the things given to us by the creator.
- My relationship with my Job: Am I growing from my professional career? Am I still passionate about what I do? Do I dread going to work or do I look forward to it? Am I burned out with my current job? Fear is an obstacle that keeps many of us from making necessary changes for growth. Leaving our comfort zone can be challenging but I have learned to step out in faith knowing that greater things lie ahead. The Universe ALWAYS has my back.
- My relationship with others: I have found it helpful to look at my relationship with each individual in my life including my friends, co-workers, family, and significant others. Are those relationships encouraging growth and positivity or are they bringing a lot of negative energy in my space? Am I moving forward or backward as a result of those relationships? What am I contributing to each individual relationship? It’s a two-way street.
- My relationship with God (Spirit): I have found that when I neglect my spiritual practice, I end up feeling lost, sad, and void. Connection to the spirit is vital for optimal health. Different people connect to God in different ways. One must choose the way that feeds their individual spirit.
Evaluation is essential for asking the hard questions and for taking a look at where we are on this journey of life. I encourage you to take a look at your individual relationships and evaluate each one.
What is your relationship with self, the environment, your job, friends, co-workers, and God like?
Are they healthy relationships? If not, what needs to be done to move in a healthy positive direction? Quite often it requires change and the change can be challenging.
Today I pause to evaluate self and my relationships, in an effort to become the best me possible.
I look forward to hearing your stories and as always, thank you for your loyalty and support.