Peace and I:
How the 2 of us Finally Met
In a world full of unrest, I’ve made peace a priority for myself. Having said that, it has taken me most of my life to find peace. True inner peace. Peace is defined as freedom from disturbance, tranquility, serenity, and inner calm. In addition to that, people use peace as a friendly greeting or as a way to say goodbye with “peace out.” Peace is knowing that a higher power is by your side and resting in that. In this article, I will talk about ways for you to find peace with an understanding that it may mean something different to each of us. Enjoy the article and leave a comment with your thoughts.
Most of my life I have struggled with depression and anxiety related to different issues such as childhood trauma and other challenging life situations. Finally at age 60, peace and I finally met and oh how wonderful it feels. I have learned that regardless of what is going on externally, I can be at peace internally. How did I get to this peaceful place?
Ways to Peace
- Be Peace: I finally realized that if I wanted peace, I had to be peace. In the workplace, at home, with friends or wherever I go, I must be peace. That means no gossiping or drama. It also may mean separating yourself from others who are determine to spread confusion and unrest. How are you feeling now? Are you at peace?
- Be Tolerant: This was a big one for me. Everyone is not the same. Being tolerant of others regardless of their religious belief, sexual orientation, appearance, and socioeconomic status helped me to be more at peace. Tolerance and acceptance both are traits of true love which in turn feels peaceful. So much fighting and war going on because of intolerance. Fighting and war are the opposite of peace. If you want true peace, practice tolerance for ALL of God’s creation.
- Seek Forgiveness as opposed to revenge: Seeking revenge against someone for being wronged by them doesn’t solve anything and disrupts your inner peace. If you treat them the same way they treat you, how are you any different? Seek forgiveness for them and for yourself. Forgiving myself was key for me to get to a peaceful place. We have all done things we are not proud of but continuing to beat ourselves up only leaves us feeling anything but peace. How many times have you beat yourself up for something you did or said? I am certainly guilty. We must be able to let that stuff go.
- Seek to love and not control: I have found that when I stopped seeking power over people and outcomes in my life, I was well on my way to a more peaceful life. I could feel the mental shift. When we seek to impose our will and reality onto others, we are essentially trying to control them. A controlling mindset will ALWAYS lead to conflict in your relationships. For more of my thoughts on relationships, check out my relationship series books on Amazon. http://amazon.com/author/vinceshifflett
- Live in Joy: Simply choose to see the wonder and beauty in the world as opposed to listening to all the negativity on the television or reading all the false negativity on social media.
In summary, the path to peace may be different for everyone. If you are not experiencing inner peace, figure out what factors are barriers to you having that peace. There is nothing like living a peaceful life. Take time daily to practice peace. Take a peaceful walk. Put your phone and other devices away. I actually turn mine completely off. Sit on silence. Finding that peaceful place may require some challenging changes in your life such as removing yourself from certain relationships. It is my deepest hope that you all find that inner peace and live your best life.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO RECEIVE MY FREE MONTHLY ARTICLES LIKE THIS ONE.
In love and peace,