The importance of giving cannot be emphasized enough. Giving is really the only way to receive. I always like to say, “the best way to elevate yourself is by elevating others.” When I give, I am sure to receive. That is just the way the spiritual law works. I reap from the seeds I sow in giving. If nothing is ever planted, then nothing will ever grow. It may not be what I expected to reap, how I expected to reap, or in the time I expected to reap, but I will reap. The important thing is to just give, trusting and knowing that it will return to me. Not expecting, but simply trusting and knowing. There is a difference.
I have found that If I need love, I simply give more love. If I need money, I give more money. If I need a listening ear, I provide that listening ear for someone else. If I am trying to sell a product, I support someone else by purchasing their product. Whatever it is that I need, I give that to someone else with pure intention and it always returns to me.
So, what are you giving?
There are many ways to give such as giving your love, your compassion, your time, monetary gifts and the list goes on. Give an extra couple bucks in tip to your wait staff at the restaurant or your barista at the coffee shop. When is the last time you gave?
What would the world be like if we gave love even when love wasn’t given back to us? What if we showed compassion even when we are not personally shown compassion? What if we give support even if in the moment we do not feel supported? What if we give expecting absolutely NOTHING in return? That is where the true blessing and joy of giving lies. Giving with no expectations or intentions to receive.
My partner said to me last week, “How many more packages are you going to get delivered to this door?” We both chuckled. For the last several months, I have ordered everything from skin care products, fine art, CBD products, books, pottery, and the list goes on and on. Ordered all from independent retailers. Ordered simply to give my support to the indie creatives.
I have enough books from indie authors to keep me reading a while. And boy oh boy has the Universe ever blessed me in return. Blessed in many ways I could have never dreamed. Every person I purchased something from did not purchase something from me or support me personally. And that is fine. I did not and still do not expect them to. Being an indie creative myself, I know the struggle is real. Again, for me it is about elevating others because I trust and know that elevation will come back to me.
When I start comparing what I’ve given to someone as opposed to what they’ve given me, it totally negates the beauty in what was given. Although I know I will receive, I have found it important to not give only to receive. I have also found that my receiving may come through a channel completely unexpected but I missed it because I was to focused on where I expected it to come from. I expected it to come from the person I gave it to. This is where trust in the spiritual law comes in handy.
People give for many reasons. I think some give for recognition. Some give out of pure intention. Some give because it is who they are at the core of their being.
It is my intention to continue giving. It has proven to be a huge blessing to me. In this new year, I want to give more love, more compassion, more time and energy where I feel it is needed. I want to volunteer for those less fortunate. I want to continue to give to each one of you by sharing my thoughts and experiences in an effort to create change and stimulate self-healing.
I encourage you to think more about your giving. What are you giving? Give more and give in a spirit of love. And remember, the intention behind our giving is far more important than the giving itself.
I have been terribly humbled by all you’ve given to me this year. Your love and support continue to bless and encourage me as I try to make a positive difference in this world through my gift of writing. There would definitely be no me without you. So, thank you from the deepest place in my heart.
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG. YOU WILL RECEIVE ONE THOUGHT PROVOKING ARTICE PER MONTH STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX. THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR FEEDBACK.
Purchase a premium quality long sleeve or short sleeve tee and receive an autographed copy of my BEST SELLING BOOK FREE.
Both the book and shirts make great Christmas gifts. https://www.vinceshifflett.com/product/belive-in-your-greatness-tee-shirts/
Just click the link above to go straight to the order page.
Have an awesome holiday season.
So, it’s 10pm and you are lying down to rest for the night. But wait, have you eaten today? Keep in mind there are several layers to you. So, when I say “have you eaten today,” I mean have you fed all the layers of you?
Your spiritual self. Your mental self. Your physical self. Have you fed them today? It is important to nourish ALL of you on a consistent basis. What are some ways we can ensure that we are spending time each day feeding our spirit, our mind and our physical body? There are many. In this article we will talk about a few.
Nourishing Your Spiritual Self
Nourishing your spirit is a very individual practice. The same thing does not work for everyone. A saying I heard a lot growing up as a kid was, “there’s more ways to catch a fish than one.” I remembered that statement because it resonated with me then and still does today. Since we are not all on the same path, we may nourish our spirit differently. What’s more important than how we nourish the spirit, is that we actually do it. Do something. Some of the things I have found effective at connecting me more to my spirit are:
- Silence: Take time out daily to be in complete silence. Even if you have to go sit in your car or take a walk to find that silence, it feeds the spirit and will be well worth it to you. Make it a morning ritual to just sit and tune into yourself. Acknowledge your own presence before you go out into the day.
- Meditation: So many different definitions of this word that I won’t begin to talk about it in detail in this article. There is also a lot of information out there to help you learn more about meditation. For me, meditation means being able to disconnect from the external world and bow to the infinite point inside me. Again, the way we get to that infinite point may be different for each of us. And that’s perfectly okay. Whatever works for you to detach from the outside world and go inward to attach to your inner self. When you feel your mind wander as it definitely will, bring your attention back to your breath. Focus on your breath. So many of us go through life on autopilot and disconnected from our inner self. It seems we are always looking for someone or something to complete us. Detach from the “some ones” and the “some things” and go inward.
- Prayer: This, like the others, looks different for each of us. People pray in different types of spaces and for different lengths of time. They also pray to different individuals or the Universe. Some even view a chant as a prayer. I have found prayer to be effective when approached from a gratitude mindset but prayer is also used to make a request to God, Universe or however you refer to your higher self.
- Set an intention for the day
- Use positive affirmations: No, you are not crazy. I have found it very helpful to talk to myself. To proclaim that I am enough, I am blessed, and I am a unique expression of the divine. Our brain hears us when we make these positive affirmations.
Nourishing the Mental Self
There many similarities between nourishing your spiritual self and nourishing your mental self. In other words, silence, mediation and prayer all nourish the mental self in addition to the spiritual self. Now that’s bang for your buck. Personally, I find that when I do not spend time in silence, my mood changes. It changes to more of a down mood as opposed to more of an up vibe. In addition to silence, meditation and prayer, I will mention a few other things that have helped me.
- Spending time with friends: Social interaction is vital for mental stimulation and growth. I will add also that I believe social interaction without your partner or spouse, is important. Have your own circle that you grow in, learn in, and have fun in. Once you find that circle, start spending a little time there.
- Taking a walk: I hear a lot of talk about the benefits of walking in nature. I too have experienced those. I do not however feel that you have to be in nature for it to be effective. Sometimes a stroll through the neighborhood alone can be just as effective for feeding your mental self.
- Journal: Writing helps us clear the head and make important connections between our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. It helps to prioritize problems, fears and concerns. I find inspiration in writing/journaling. It can also be effective at reducing stress and anxiety. Writing has helped me compose a coherent narrative about my experiences allowing me to process them in a more effective way.
- Be aware of your thoughts: The things we focus on are the things that become our reality. Notice when fear or self-criticism arise in you. It is important not to place any judgement on these thoughts but instead to consciously choose to let them go or reframe them into a new perspective.
Nourishing Your Physical Self
Okay, let me get this out there in the open. I need improvement in this area. And not just a little improvement. I need a lot. In other words, I need to start spending time daily feeding my physical self. How am I taking care of my physical temple every day? Being a Registered Nurse for the past 33 years, I have a little knowledge about what one should do for optimal physical health but knowledge is pretty useless unless you’re using it. I’m preaching to myself right now. Here are the things that can help us both to do a better job at feeding our physical self-daily.
- Set a time each day to be physically active: Set a time each day to feed your physical self by being active. I keep saying this, but there are no rules here. Something different will work for each of us. Some do yoga. Some take a 30-minute power walk each day. Some go to the gym. Some play sports consistently. By setting the time, it holds one accountable and sets the routine (habit) in place. See exercise as a form of self-love instead of a chore.
- Eat a well-balanced diet: Diet and exercise work synergistically with each other. Being physically active and eating a well-balanced diet has been proven to cut down heart disease, diabetes, obesity, stroke, cancer and the myriad of other ailments out here. Personally, some research has shown that a plant- based diet is the way to go. Again, I say there are more ways to catch a fish than one. Do what works for you and do your research. Of course, you can use your doctor as a resource, but keeping in mind that they are western medicine practitioners and there are other ways to go. So, do a little research. You may choose a different path. You may choose a little from both paths but be aware of what you put in your mouth. You are what you eat.
- Drink water: It is essential to drink water each day. Much of our body composition is made up of water. Water allows the cells to flow freely to all parts of the body giving it nourishment.
In summary, take time out each day to feed your spiritual, mental, and physical self. It is also essential to make sure your environment is conducive to supporting this. I always say that if you are not feeling lifted, encouraged, and supported in your current environment, move on. The relationship we have with ourselves requires time and commitment to build. Take the necessary time to build a solid spiritual, mental, and physical foundation. Set the intention now to deepen your connection to yourself daily. Deepen the spiritual connection, mental connection, and physical connection.
What have you eaten today?
Stay healthy and blessed,
I hope you will take the time to check out my book on Amazon to learn more about effective ways to cultivate a healthy relationship with yourself and others. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1735975702. Here is the link to purchase from amazon or you can go to my Author Page on this website and order directly from there. I look forward to your feedback and am deeply grateful for your love and support.